Veterans Disability

If you are a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, or Navy, you may be eligible to receive tax-free disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs. In order to receive this compensation, your military duty must have caused or worsened an injury or disease. Yet, receiving these benefits isn’t easy and it’s not always straightforward. In fact, the Department of Veteran Affairs often makes the benefits process time consuming and complicated to navigate. This makes it difficult to receive these benefits without an experienced South Carolina veteran disability lawyer on your side.  

At the Law Offices of F. Craig Wilkerson Jr., we are grateful for your service and your sacrifices to our country.  We know that the disability benefits process can be complicated and overwhelming to navigate on your own. The bureaucratic benefits approval process is time-consuming and often requires multiple appeals before injured veterans are awarded benefits.

When you choose the Law Offices of Wilkerson, Jones & Wilkerson, you can rest assured knowing that your case is being given top priority. That’s because F. Craig Wilkerson, Jr. is a former United States Marine who values honor, trust, integrity and service. He uses his knowledge of the U.S. military, combined with over two decades of legal experience, to help veterans get the benefits they deserve.

Photo of Veterans Disability

Types of Veterans Compensation

As long as you have not been dishonorably discharged from service, you may be eligible to receive benefits. In general, there are two types of veteran disability compensation and the amount of benefits you can receive is tied directly to the extent of your disability. It is often possible for veterans to meet the requirements necessary to qualify for both types of compensation.

  • Disability Compensation: Veterans who suffer from a physical or mental health disability that is caused or aggravated by military service may qualify for disability compensation. It is not necessary that veterans have combat experience in order to receive these benefits. Even if you are still able to work, you may still be eligible for these benefits. Unlike other types of disability benefits, there is no cap on income in order to qualify for veterans’ disability compensation.
  • Non-Service-Connected Pension: Veterans who become disabled after serving in the military and who also have a low-income may qualify for non-service-connected pension.

Common Disabling Injuries for Veterans

  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Loss of Limbs
  • Exposure to Toxins or Diseases
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Hypertension
  • Radiation
  • Vision or Hearing Injury

How to Apply for Veterans Disability Benefits

The process for obtaining veteran disability benefits is long and often time-consuming. There may be multiple appeals made before an injured veteran can begin collecting the compensation they deserve.

In general, the application process for veteran disability benefits includes:

  • Completing a disability compensation claim
  • Retaining a copy for your records and sending the original to the VA Regional Office in South Carolina
  • Sending medical records, evidence and documentation to the VA that you believe will help your case, especially your Service Medical Record
  • Completing free medical examination if VA orders it

The VA will rate your disability on a scale of 0 to 100. Following their determination, veterans’ disability benefits will be granted or denied. You have the option to appeal the decision decision if your claim is denied. It is important to know that all appeals must be made within one year from the date of the VA’s decision.

Contact Our Attorneys Today

At the Law Offices of F. Craig Wilkerson Jr., we know that the Department of Veterans Affairs is highly selective when it comes to reviewing disability claims. That’s why veterans don’t always receive the benefits they need or deserve. When this happens, you need a veteran’s disability lawyer on your side to help you through this difficult process.

Call the Law Offices of Wilkerson, Jones & Wilkerson today at (803) 324-7200 (Rock Hill), (803) 289-7202 (Lancaster), (803) 396-5200 (Fort Mill), or fill out our confidential contact form. With offices conveniently located in Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and Lancaster, we are here when you need us. Call us today for a free case evaluation.