Personal Injury Attorney Brandon Nobles Defines Key Terms

Feb 14, 2017

First-party insurance is, according to, insurance that “pays the insured for an accident and damages that occur no matter who caused it.” Brandon Nobles from our law firm shares some important terminology about first-party insurance that can have a significant effect on dollar amounts paid out to you after an accident.

First-party insurance, he explains, includes personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage (Med-Pay). Although they are not identical, they are both no-fault coverages intended to help you with medical payment coverage after an accident.

For more information, you can watch this brief, informative video – and we’ll also summarize key points in this blog post.

Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) versus underinsured (UIM) motorist coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage, Brandon explains, is mandatory coverage in South Carolina. So, if you have auto insurance in South Carolina, you automatically have uninsured motorist coverage. This covers you if the party that causes your accident doesn’t have coverage, has insurance that doesn’t meet South Carolina minimums, or drives away after the accident occurs.

Underinsured motorist coverage, though, is elective. This kicks in when the at-fault party in the accident has appropriate levels of insurance but the damage you’ve suffered exceeds limits paid. So, underinsured motorist coverage protects you in case this type of situation occurs.

Brandon brings up another crucial point: that liability insurance, which is mandatory, protects other parties – whereas uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages will protect you. He also explains that UM and UIM protection can be stackable, which means that you can have several layers of coverage.

Let Our Personal Injury Lawyers Review Your Coverage

We hope these definitions help you understand the different types of insurance – and we also encourage you to let a personal injury lawyer review what coverage you actually have after an accident so that you can know what is potentially due to you.

Brandon Nobles practices civil litigation exclusively, with his emphasis on personal injury law. His clients are typically those who have been injured in car or motorcycle accidents, serious falls, and dog bites, along with people involved in insurance disputes, including bad faith and fire claims. His primary office is located at 1050 College Avenue Ext in Rock Hill.

You can find more information about him here. Interested in a free case evaluation of your personal injury claim? You can contact Brandon online, call him at 803-324-7200, or email him at [email protected]/.