What Influences How Much You’ll Receive After a South Carolina Motorcycle Crash
When motorcycle crashes occur, victims are often left wondering how much their case will be worth. This article reviews some of the unique issues that arise in motorcycle accidents that can end up deciding the amount of compensation you receive.
Bias Can End Up Influencing the Compensation You Receive
A bias exists against individuals who ride motorcycles. As a result, when motorcycle crashes occur, many people still end up placing blame on the motorcyclist. This bias can end up creating various obstacles in pursuing the compensation that injured motorcyclists include. Some of these challenges include:
- Statements provided by law enforcement might not be accurate. Furthermore, given that the motorcyclist is often the most seriously injured after the crash, the motorcyclist might not be able to provide his or her version of how the accident happened. Witnesses who are biased against motorcyclists are known to provide inaccurate versions of how the crash occurred and sometimes place too much blame for the accident on the motorcyclist.
- If your case proceeds to trial, the jury might be biased. A large number of people view motorcyclists as prone to causing crashes. If a jury must resolve your case, some jury members might assume you were responsible for causing the accident simply because you are a motorcyclist.
- You might receive less compensation than you deserve because a bias exists against motorcyclists. This could be the result of jury bias, but law enforcement bias as well as incorrect recollections caused by bias can also have a negative impact on the amount of compensation you end up receiving.
While bias can have a negative impact on the amount of compensation you end up receiving, a skilled attorney can help you discover various strategies to overcome bias and maximize the amount that you end up receiving.
Other Factors That Influence How Much Compensation You Receive
Besides complications created by bias, countless other factors can end up influencing how much compensation you receive. Some of these factors include:
- The severity of your injuries often influences the amount of compensation. The greater the injuries you received in the crash, the larger amount of compensation you can expect to receive.
- The extent of costs that you ended up facing in a motorcycle crash can also influence how much compensation you receive. Typically, the greater the costs created by the crash, the more you can expect to receive in compensation.
- Emotional stress can also end up influencing how much you receive after an accident.
- The degree to which your quality of life has been impacted by the crash can influence the degree of compensation you receive.
Speak with a Compassionate Accident Attorney
Motorcycle crashes are almost always devastating. Obtaining the compensation that motorcycle accident victims deserve, however, is rarely easy. Fortunately, an experienced South Carolina motorcycle accident lawyer is prepared to fight for the results you deserve. Contact Wilkerson, Jones & Wilkerson today to schedule a free case evaluation by calling (803) 324 – 7200.